Local Bounti is a leading controlled environment agriculture (CEA) company. Our mission is to bring our farm to your kitchen and deliver the freshest, locally grown produce in the fewest food miles possible.
By growing local and minimizing the distance between farm and plate, Local Bounti helps eliminate food waste and provides fresh, high-quality produce to areas of the country over 1,000 miles from their current source. Our sustainable greenhouse technology delivers ideal growing conditions for each of our diverse selection of crops, resulting in 90% less water consumption and 95% less land use than conventional agriculture, no need for herbicides or pesticides, and the lowest carbon footprint in the industry. We provide an interactive, educational, and safe work environment and are dedicated to helping our employees grow within the company. Local Bounti is committed to fully integrating environmental, social, and governance (ESG) objectives in all our business activities.
We currently have two openings for an Assistant Grower Manager in our Carpinteria and Oxnard, California locations.
The Assistant Grower Manager will excel in growing hydroponic crops of the highest quality in the most efficient way, in collaboration with other production team members. Experience with organic hydroponic growing is a plus.
The Assistant Grower Manager will be working with the growing team while fostering a positive environment of respect and safety for his/her people, our customers and the environment.
The Assistant Grower Manager must be able to work independently and collaboratively, performing multiple-level projects in conjunction with his/her daily activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The duties listed below are representative of the essential functions, qualifications, physical demands, and the work environment encountered in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to work and perform the essential functions in this work environment.
- Knowledge of climate and irrigation management
- Knowledge of crop nutrient requirements, acceptable growing ranges and conditions
- Knowledge of organic and conventional fertilizers, macro and micro nutrients, EC, pH and dissolved oxygen requirements
- Knowledge of germination and propagation parameters and requirements
- Knowledge/ability to analyze a crop in the field and in conjunction with lab reports to determine plant deficiencies/toxicities and make adjustments accordingly
- Knowledge/ability to forecast crop yields, cycle times, and adjust fertilizers, equipment, and techniques preemptively to ensure the top-quality crops.
- Comfortable around standard greenhouse equipment, including water pumps, air compressors, heaters, water boilers, injectors, moveable gutters, conveyor belts, seeding equipment, Reverse Osmosis, etc. Able to repair or at least troubleshoot in the field.
- Knowledge of proper greenhouse climate control systems (ideally Priva, Argus, or equivalent) to combat adverse climates and like extreme cold, heat, dry or wet weather to maintain consistent growing conditions
Pest and Disease Management
- Able to scout for pests and diseases, and train others to do so effectively
- Able to plan for and maintain an IPM program, including preventative sprays for both insects and plant diseases, record keeping, reporting, storage, and spray equipment maintenance
Personnel Management / Collaboration
- Crew management, supervising, training, and coaching team members
- Resolving employee issues/complaints
- Efficient use of labor to complete work consistently and predictably
- Work alongside Production department to maintain smooth and consistent operations, consistent crop availability
- Work alongside Maintenance department to ensure a functional and effective greenhouse
- Communicate with superiors and subordinates clearly, openly, and honestly
- Excellent prioritization and time management skills
- Participate in the company’s Research and Development projects related to growing and equipment
- Familiarity with organic certifying bodies (CCOF or equivalent) and the requirements/standards of the verifying body a plus
- Ability to identify inefficiencies and be creative in establishing new programs to continue improvements across all areas of Growing influence
- Develop and trouble shoot our expanding organic program
- Maintain records pertaining to growing, ensure FIFO policies on material inputs, ensure all SOP are being followed
- Accurate inventory taking, reporting, and use planning
- Must be willing/available after hours to respond to emergencies in the facility pertaining to power outages, equipment failure, etc.
Other duties as assigned.
- Embrace and exhibit Local Bounti’s Core Values.
- Embraces and supports the safety culture at the facility.
- Basic knowledge of the English language, including being able to read, speak, and write to include understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Knowledge of safe equipment and machinery operations and procedures.
- Basic knowledge of machines and tools, including their operation, uses, and maintenance.
- Ability to adjust the controls of a machine or a process quickly and repeatedly to exact positions.
- Ability to convey information effectively to others.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Physical stamina and strength
- Work independently
- Ability to Multitask
- Practical knowledge of MS Office 2007 applications
- Some Spanish required
Education And Experience
- Minimum 2 years work experience in crew management
- Minimum 2 years work experience in professional horticulture
- Minimum A.S. degree in in agriculture or related field a plus
- Experience with HACCP/GFSI a plus
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
(Physical demands are a general guide and specific positions will vary based on working conditions, locations and facility/department needs)
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee is regularly required to sit; use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and is regularly exposed to vibration. The employee regularly works in outside weather conditions and environments both hot and cold.
The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud.
- The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example: two arms, two legs or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down.
- The ability to time movements in anticipation of changes in the speed and/or direction of a moving object.
- The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull or carry objects.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move 10 to 25 pounds and regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.